# Safety Points (Rally Points)
Safety points are alternative Return Mode destinations/landing points. When enabled, the vehicle will choose the closest return destination of: home location, mission landing pattern or a safety point.
# Creating/Defining Safety Points
Safety points are created in QGroundControl (which calls them "Rally Points").
At high level:
- Open QGroundControl > Plan View
- Select the Rally tab/button on the Plan Editor (right of screen).
- Select the Rally Point button on the toolbar (left of screen).
- Click anywhere on the map to add a rally/safety point.
- The Plan Editor displays and lets you edit the current rally point (shown as a green R on the map).
- You can select another rally point (shown as a more orange/yellow R on the map) to edit it instead.
- Select the Upload Required button to upload the rally points (along with any mission and geofence) to the vehicle.
More complete documentation can be found in the QGroundControl User Guide: Plan View - Rally Points (opens new window).
# Using Safety Points
Safety points are not enabled by default (there are a number of different Return Mode Types).
To enable safety points: