# MacOS Development Environment
The following instructions set up a PX4 development environment for macOS. This environment can be used to build PX4 for:
- Pixhawk and other NuttX-based hardware
- jMAVSim Simulation
- Gazebo Simulation
Apple M1 Macbook users!
If you have an Apple M1 Macbook, make sure to run the terminal as x86 by setting up an x86 terminal:
- Locate the Terminal application within the Utilities folder (Finder > Go menu > Utilities)
- Select Terminal.app and right-click on it, then choose Duplicate.
- Rename the duplicated Terminal app, e.g. to x86 Terminal
- Now select the renamed x86 Terminal app and right-click and choose *Get Info
- Check the box for Open using Rosetta, then close the window
- Run the x86 Terminal` as usual, which will fully support the current PX4 toolchain
This setup is supported by the PX4 dev team. To build other targets you will need to use a different OS (or an unsupported development environment).
# Video Guide
# Homebrew Installation
The installation of Homebrew is quick and easy: installation instructions (opens new window).
# Enable more open files (Handle "LD: too many open files" error)
~/.zshenv file or append it (by running
open ~/.zshenv on the terminal) and add this line:
ulimit -S -n 2048
# Enforce Python Version
If not already existing, create the file
~/.zshrc and add these lines:
# Point pip3 to MacOS system python 3 pip alias pip3=/usr/bin/pip3
# Common Tools
After installing Homebrew, run these commands in your shell to install the common tools:
brew tap PX4/px4 brew install px4-dev
Install the required Python packages
# install required packages using pip3 python3 -m pip install --user pyserial empy toml numpy pandas jinja2 pyyaml pyros-genmsg packaging # if this fails with a permissions error, your Python install is in a system path - use this command instead: sudo -H python3 -m pip install --user pyserial empy toml numpy pandas jinja2 pyyaml pyros-genmsg packaging
# Gazebo Simulation
To install SITL simulation with Gazebo:
brew install --cask xquartz brew install px4-sim-gazebo
# jMAVSim Simulation
To use SITL simulation with jMAVSim you need to install a recent version of Java (e.g. Java 15). You can download Java 15 (or later) from Oracle (opens new window) or use the AdoptOpenJDK tap:
brew tap AdoptOpenJDK/openjdk brew install --cask adoptopenjdk15
brew install px4-sim-jmavsim
jMAVSim for PX4 v1.11 and beyond we require at least JDK 15.
For earlier versions macOS users might see the error
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:.
You can find the fix in the jMAVSim with SITL > Troubleshooting).
# Next Steps
Once you have finished setting up the command-line toolchain:
- Install VSCode (if you prefer using an IDE to the command line).
- Install the QGroundControl Daily Build (opens new window)
The daily build includes development tools that are hidden in release builds. It may also provide access to new PX4 features that are not yet supported in release builds.
- Continue to the build instructions.