# ARK Flow
# Where to Buy
Order this module from:
- Open Source Schematic and BOM (opens new window)
- Runs PX4 Open Source Firmware (opens new window)
- Supports UAVCAN Firmware Updating
- Dynamic UAVCAN node enumeration
- PixArt PAW3902 Optical Flow Sensor
- Tracks under super low light condition of >9 lux
- Wide working range from 80mm up to infinity
- Up to 7.4 rad/s
- 40mW IR LED built onto board for improved low light operation
- Broadcom AFBR-S50LV85D Time-of-Flight Distance Sensor
- Integrated 850 nm laser light source
- Field-of-View (FoV) of 12.4° x 6.2° with 32 pixels
- Typical distance range up to 30m
- Operation of up to 200k Lux ambient light
- Works well on all surface conditions
- Transmitter beam of 2° x 2° to illuminate between 1 and 3 pixels
- Bosch BMI088 6-Axis IMU
- STM32F412CEU6 MCU
- Two Pixhawk Standard CAN Connectors
- 4 Pin JST GH
- Pixhawk Standard Debug Connector
- 6 Pin JST SH
- Small Form Factor
- 3cm x 3cm x 1.4cm
- LED Indicators
- USA Built
The ARK Flow is connected to the CAN bus using a Pixhawk standard 4 pin JST GH cable. Multiple sensors can be connected by plugging additional sensors into the ARK Flow's second CAN connector.
General instructions for UAVCAN wiring can also be found in UAVCAN > Wiring.
The recommended mounting orientation is with the connectors on the board pointing towards back of vehicle, as shown in the following picture.
This corresponds to the default value (
0) of the parameter SENS_FLOW_ROT.
Change the parameter appropriately if using a different orientation.
The sensor can be mounted anywhere on the frame, but you will need to specify the focal point position, relative to vehicle centre of gravity, during PX4 configuration.
# PX4 Setup
# Enabling UAVCAN
The steps are:
- In QGroundControl set the parameter UAVCAN_ENABLE to
3and reboot (see Finding/Updating Parameters).
- Connect ARK Flow CAN to the Pixhawk CAN.
Once enabled, the module will be detected on boot. Flow data should arrive at 10Hz.
# PX4 Configuration
Set the EKF optical flow parameters in Optical Flow > Estimators > EKF2 in order to:
- enable fusing optical flow measurements for velocity calculation.
- define offsets if the sensor is not centred within the vehicle.
In addition you may need to configure the following parameters.
|Maximum height above ground when reliant on optical flow.
|Minimum height above ground when reliant on optical flow.
|Maximum angular flow rate reliably measurable by the optical flow sensor.
|Yaw rotation of the board relative to the vehicle body frame.
# Building Ark Flow Firmware
Ark Flow is sold with a recent firmware build. Developers who want to update to the very latest version can build and install it themselves using the normal PX4 toolchain and sources.
The steps are:
- Install the PX4 toolchain.
- Clone the PX4-Autopilot sources, including Ark Flow, using git:
git clone https://github.com/PX4/PX4-Autopilot --recursive cd PX4-Autopilot
- Build the Ark Flow firmware:
- Follow instructions for UAVCAN firmware updating using the binary located in build/ark_can-flow_default named XX-X.X.XXXXXXXX.uavcan.bin.