# ROS 1 with MAVROS
The PX4 development team recommend that users migrate to ROS 2 (i.e. skip this section)!
ROS (Robot Operating System) is a general-purpose robotics library that can be used to create powerful drone applications for the PX4 Autopilot.
The main topics covered are:
- ROS/MAVROS Installation Guide: Setup a PX4 development environment with ROS 1 and MAVROS.
- ROS/MAVROS Offboard Example (C++): Tutorial showing the main concepts related to writing a C++ MAVROS/ROS node.
- ROS MAVROS Sending Custom Messages
- ROS with Gazebo Classic Simulation
- Gazebo Classic OctoMap Models with ROS
- ROS Installation on RPi
- External Position Estimation (Vision/Motion based)
# Other Resources
- PX4 ROS Setups.
- XTDrone (opens new window) - ROS + PX4 simulation environment for computer vision. The XTDrone Manual (opens new window) has everything you need to get started!
- Prometheus Autonomous Drone Project (opens new window) - Prometheus is a ROS 1 based, BSD-3 licensed collection of autonomous drone software packages from AMOVLab (opens new window), which provides a full set of solutions for the intelligent and autonomous flight of drones, such as mapping, localization, planning, control, and target detection, fully integrated with the Gazebo Classic Simulator.