# Hold Mode (Fixed-Wing)
The Hold flight mode causes the vehicle to loiter (circle) around its current GPS position and maintain its current altitude.
Hold mode can be used to pause a mission or to help you regain control of a vehicle in an emergency. It is usually activated with a pre-programmed switch.
- Mode is automatic - no user intervention is required to control the vehicle.
- Mode requires a global 3d position estimate (from GPS or inferred from a local position).
- Flying vehicles can't switch to this mode without global position.
- Flying vehicles will failsafe if they lose the position estimate.
- Disarmed vehicles can switch to mode without valid position estimate but can't arm.
- Mode requires wind and flight time are within allowed limits (specified via parameters).
- RC control switches can be used to change flight modes on any vehicle.
- RC stick movement is ignored.
# Technical Summary
The aircraft circles around the GPS hold position at the current altitude. The vehicle will first ascend to NAV_MIN_LTR_ALT if the mode is engaged below this altitude.
RC stick movement is ignored.
Hold mode behaviour can be configured using the parameters below.
|The radius of the loiter circle.
|Minimum height for loiter mode (vehicle will ascend to this altitude if mode is engaged at a lower altitude).